Emergency School Closure Plan
Decision making process
The decision to close the school will be made taking the following into consideration:
- Whether the school can open safely e.g. the availability of staff is key, can sufficient staff travel safely to and from school to ensure an appropriate pupil/staff ratio?
- Would a partial closure, rather than a full closure, be possible? e.g. opening for certain year groups only, or starting late and finishing early?
- Whether all school services are functioning adequately e.g. heating, water, electricity, kitchen facilities etc.
Actions if the school is to close
1. In the event of extreme weather conditions or other issue necessitating the closure of the school, parents will be informed by the following plan:
- Wherever possible the decision will be made and communicated the night before
- All communications will be made as early as possible in the morning
- A text will be sent to all parents and staff if the school is to close or open later than normal
- A closure or late start message will be posted on the school website.
2. In the event of closure during the school day:
- A text will be sent to parents to advise of an early closure
- A message will be placed on the school website
- When ready to leave school, parents will be advised of specific waiting areas / dismissal points if normal collection points are not accessible
- The bell will be rung at the agreed school closure time (parents to remain outside until the bell has sounded)
- Parents may be allowed into the school to collect their children from designated areas if normal collection points are not accessible
- Year 5 & 6: If your child normally walks to and from school alone and you do not wish them to do this, please let the school office know.